How To Cook & Enjoy at Sakura Tei
At Sakura Tei, we follow the Japanese custom where the guest calls the server. Give us your heartiest "sumimasen!" (excuse me), or
just push the button and we'll be right there! Then, just order what you'd like!
2. Mix it
Your okonomiyaki will arrive in a bowl with a spoon! Mix well to get the best taste!
3. Pour Oil on the Teppan (Griddle)
Pour some oil onto the griddle and use the metal spatulas to spread it evenly.
4. Start Cooking!
Pour the mix onto the griddle and use the spatulas to shape it into a circle about 1-1.5cm thick. Cook for 5 minutes -- be sure not to press down on the top of the okonomiyaki! Then, flip and cook for another 5 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides.
First, put as much sauce and mayonnaise as you want on top. Then, sprinkle katsuobushi (fish flakes) on top! These ingredients are optional, so feel free to use more, less, or none of them.
Now it's ready. Take it off the griddle, say the Japanese blessing "itadakimasu", and dig in!
- Leaving the batter in the bowl, scoop the cabbage and other solid ingredients onto the teppan and fry them.
- Use the spatulas to chop up the cabbage. Then, sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
- Spread the cabbage outwards to make a ring shape, leaving the tappan exposed in the middle. Make sure the ring is fairly large and that the cabbage makes thick walls. Imagine a cabbage-castle!
★ If pouring it all at once is tricky, pour in about half, cook for a minute, then pour in the rest!
- Once the batter has firmed up, use the spatula to mix everything together!
Make sure you mix well.
- Now comes the tricky part. Using the small spatula, scoop aside some monja,
and then drag the it across the top of the teppan. This will burn it to the spatula!
Then, you can lift it off, blow on it (it's gonna be hot!), and eat it. This takes practice! Ask our staff for help!